EACL 2006 Student Session Feedback
The authors and audience at the EACL 2006 student session participated in a feedback exercise to determine the usefulness of the student session at meetings of the EACL. We thank everyone who completed a questionnaire. A brief summary of the responses follows in this document.
We would be grateful for any further feedback regarding the student session. Please send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you?
- Would you consider submitting to the student session/recommend submitting to the student session to your students?
- If yes, why?
- If no, why?
- Why did you choose to attend the student session?
- Any suggestions/recommendations for the next student session chairs?
"Accepted papers should have the same status as ordinary papers (i.e. the 'student session paper' label should be removed)."
"Consider a best student paper award."
"It is nice for student research to keep this kind of session, so that we can boost up."
"Very well organised."
"Nice job! Continue the good work."
"Fight for having a full SRW-slot again; not parallel to main session."
"Give the students the opportunity to meet their panellists before their presentation."
"Keep up the good work!"
Have you published before?
How did you find out about the Student Session?
- Yes - 2
- No - 3
- Call for papers - 3
- Word of mouth - 3
What was your motivation for submitting to the student session?
- Prestigious institution - 1
- Getting feedback from panellists - 5
- Higher chance of acceptance - 3
If your submission had been rejected, where would you have submitted your paper alternatively?
- Workshop on my research area - 4
- More specialised conference - 1
- Student session of comparable conference - 3
Did you find the reviews helpful?
- Yes - 5
Would you submit again to the student session of a comparable conference (and why)?
- Yes - 3
- "Useful feedback from panel and audience."
- "I want to get more feedback."
- "The feedback was really helpful."
- No - 2
- "I think it's the type of thing to do once."
- "Only when I start a PhD, and only if the topic is quite different."
Do you see possible disadvantages of submitting to the student session?
- "Since the supervisor cannot be a co-author, this might prevent a student from submitting."
- "You have to present current work, but the submission deadline is months in advance so you don't know your topic yet."
Any suggestions/recommendations for the next student session chairs?
- "No, organisation was really good! Lots of audience, which was very nice."
- "Better communication with presenters prior to the conference: I was unsure what to expect."
- "Thanks! Your work is greatly appreciated!"